The Kellyville/Rouse Hill Junior Football Club (the Magpies) was founded in early 2002 by a group of parents who wanted their kids to play the ‘Greatest Game of All’, in their local area.
The instigator of this movement was local junior Australian Football League legend, Warren ‘Pops’ Quintrell. With the blessing of the Northside Association and the Baulkham Hills Falcons, Pops recruited several ex-Parramatta Goanna’s who lived in the Kellyville/Rouse Hill area to start up the first committee.
After several lengthy meetings at the then Mean Fiddler Inn at Rouse Hill, the club was up and running. Some of the original families involved included:
- former SFL Geelong Tigersnakes star, Peter ‘Bear’ Rickett
- former garlic salesman and Goanna committeeman, Steve ‘Digger’ Graves
- ex-Baulkham Hills Junior and Goanna premiership winner, Paul Eastman
- former South Australian umpire of the year, George ‘The Blower’ Acland, and
- Steve ‘The Butcher’ Terry.
There were many others also committed to the ideology of the great Australian game.
Those that serve the club come from a wide range of backgrounds and have bonded to become great mates. We’ve created a club that is one of the largest and most well respected in the Sydney juniors competitions, with an enviable club spirit and attitude towards the game, as well as elite facilities at Kanebridge Oval, Bruce Purser Reserve, Rouse Hill. Regular committee meetings are still held at The Fiddler.
The club is financially secure and has grown well from its first year by continually striving to create an environment where it’s all about the game and how you play it – not just winning. The club is professionally administered and operates under the guidance of the AFL junior development authorities.
The club has also experienced success on the field:
- Our U10s won the club’s first premiership in 2008. This was followed in 2009 with our U12s winning the Division 2 Premiership. Our third Premiership came about with our U16s winning the Division 3 Flag in season 2011.
- In season 2013 we entered our first ever Youth Girls team in the U13s competition. The team made it to the Grand Final in their first year.
- In season 2014 we doubled our Premiership tally with our U11 Shane Mumford, U12s Division 2 and U17s Division 2 sides all successful.
- Season 2015 witnessed an historical event with our very first Youth Girls Premiership, along with our U14s Division 2 team bringing home the Premiership flag as well.
- Season 2017 was a big one with our U12s Division 1 Western Competition and Youth Girls U12s sides bringing home Premierships. We also extended our commitment to the AFL Juniors ‘Western Competition’, with 17 teams playing in the ‘Western Comp’ and 7 playing in the ‘Harbour Comp’. We are proudly a Western Sydney club, but as the only club playing in both competitions, we provide the broadest range of opportunities for our players.
- Season 2018 saw our club grow to 491 players in 26 teams, plus 146 Auskickers.
The history of our club would not be complete without a mention of our wonderful sponsors. We are proud to partner with our sponsors to ensure the viability of our club and maintain affordable fees for our players.
The club is an Incorporated Association and complies with the Department of Fair Trading regulations. It is run by the members for the members and is a non profit organisation.